School History

Wembley Primary School (No. 4788)

 

Beginnings


1950’s - Severe overcrowding at the nearby schools Spotswood, Yarraville West and particularly Kingsville

1955 – Education department looks at identifying site for new primary school.

1957 – Land purchased and school buildings built; 6 classroom block, staffroom, office, toilets & store.

1958 – School opens with 265 pupils

1959 – 2 extra classrooms added to school, enrolment increases to 300

 

The 1960's - 'years of rapid growth'

 

1961 – the main building block is extended to 10 classrooms, the grounds are fenced and boundary trees planted.

1962 – an asphalt assembly area and basketball court are provided

1966 – enrolments hit 426, additional asphalting on the east-side and cricket pitches formed

1967 - first portable classroom erected

1968 - two more permanent classrooms & G R Evans Memorial Library in use

1969 - enrolment in 1969 reached 447 and extra room requested.

 

The 1970's - 'a multicultural school'

 

1970 – Enrolment hit 451, Migrant English classes commence (held in sick bay then shelter shed)

1974 – Enrolment declined to 375 removing class size pressure, school-based curriculum development, canteen available

1975 – Art & Craft Centre opened (destroyed by fire two years later)

1978 - Rebound wall erected

1979 - Boys shelter shed converted to two withdrawal rooms with covered way, complete revision of school policy and curriculum statements. 

 

The 1980's - 'consolidation'

 

1980 – Enrolment level 303, two adjoining rooms converted into a General Purpose Room, due to high migrant population, school is declared a Disadvantaged School enabling the employment of three `Special Needs’ teachers for the Child Migrant Education and P.E. programs

1981 - International Committee formed for social and fundraising purposes

1982 – A further two rooms converted into a new Art & Craft Centre

1983 - $260,000 upgrade of the administration area and a fitness course constructed. 25th Anniversary Celebrations held.

1985 – 2/3 school enrolments from non-English speaking backgrounds, 17 nationalities - School Improvement Plan funding to revise English Language Program

1986 – Shelter shed converted into a Community Room, a sprinkler system installed, and an arboretum commenced

1987 – School purchased new computers

1988 - runner up Footscray Municipality Beautification Competition for schools.

 

The 1990's - 'striving for sucess'

 

1990 – After Hours School Program initiated.  New school canteen completed

1993 - Italian replaces Macedonian as the L.O.T.E. component

1994 – `Friendship School’ relationship established with Koriyama Elementary School, Japan. 

1995 - $250,000 major maintenance and administration/ staffroom upgrade. Wembley becomes a `School of the Future’.

1996 - New School Hall opened, Reading Recovery introduced

1997 - Triennial Review

1998 - 40th Anniversary Celebrations  

 

2000-2009 - 'The changing face of Wembley'

 

2000 – Library / Corridor extensions completed

2001 – Triennial Review

2001 – Completion of Early Numeracy Research Program

2002 – Enrolment level 420, Before School Care Program commences

2003 - complex of 5 classrooms, student toilets and canteen was built, and the school’s administration area and staffroom were relocated and renovated along with two classrooms in the main building.

2005 – enrolment 461

2006 – grounds improvement - artificial grass soccer field installed, large sandpit / long jump areas constructed, and the outside basketball courts covered with an artificial grass/carpet.

2007 - interactive whiteboards installed in all classrooms and significant purchases of laptops.

2008 50th year of operation. New entrance gates were built at the main entrance in St Leonards Ave and at the school crossing entrance in Wembley Ave.

2009 – enrolment 526

 

2010 - 2020

 

 

 

School Principals

 

1958 - 1996              E C Howell

1962 - 1966              R G Evans

1967 - 1969              A O Bird

1970 - 1972              E J W Miller

1973 - 1975              B L Burns

1976 - 1982              G J Murdoch

1983 - 1996              J M McConville

1997 - 2005              S W Lyon

2006 - 2011              S R Warner

2012 -                      T Lawless

 

School Council Presidents

 

1958 - 1964              R R Carruthers

1964 - 1965              K J Hatt

1965 - 1970              D J Kent

1970 - 1980              A Boyd

1980 - 1984              R A D MacDonald

1984 - 1985              B D Charlton

1985 - 1989              B J Jones

1990                         J A Regan

1991                         J Gardener

1992 - 1997              M Webb

1997 - 2001              A N Smith

2001 - 2003              R Glenn- Smith

2004 - 2010              P Morgan

2011 - 2014              Scott Walker

2015 -                      Janet Condy

 

 

Full School History